750 ml cooked pumpkin
1 litre water
625 ml Cup Final Super maize meal
60 ml sugar
5 ml salt
To make pap: boil water, then add sugar, salt and pumpkin, stirring to mix.
Add Cup Final maize meal and mix well. Leave to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
It can also be enjoyed with warm milk, inkomazi or by adding margarine or butter and a little sugar.
5 egg yolks
125g caster sugar
250g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
250g butter, cubed and a little extra for greasing
40g Shaya White Super maize meal
Cocoa powder for dusting
• Grease ramekins liberally with softened butter and dust with cocoa powder. Place in the fridge to chill
• Slowly melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl set on a boiling pot of water and mix well
• Whisk the eggs, egg yolk and caster sugar together.
• When the chocolate and butter have melted, slowly mix in the egg mixture.
• Gradually fold the Shaya White Super maize meal and the flour into the chocolate mixture gradually.
• Fill the ramekins ¾ full with the chocolate mixture and bake at 200°C until just firm on top, approximately 7 minutes.
• The centre of the pudding should be soft.
• Serve with vanilla ice-cream.
250g Brennco Red Speckled Beans, drained
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 large onion, quartered or sliced
4 tomatoes, diced
4 mild green chili peppers, diced
2 tsp finely chopped jalapeños (opt)
75ml tomato sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
Dash of Cayenne pepper
Dash of ground cloves
1 small bay leaf
• Prepare the beans – rinse dry beans, cover with cold water and let soak overnight.
Use 2.5 cups of water for every cup of beans used
For quick soaking – simmer for 5 minutes, cover and allow to soak for 1 hour.
• Drain, transfer to a large saucepan and cover with fresh water. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
• In a large skillet, brown the onion, pepper and mince in oil.
• Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasoning. Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours, adding a little water to keep it from sticking.
• Check and stir frequently.
• Add the Red Speckled Beans and heat through.
75g Xtreme maize meal
400ml full cream milk
• Mix the maize meal with 100ml milk and add the salt. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil.
• Spoon teaspoonful’s of maize meal mixture into the warm milk. Stir constantly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the sauce pan
• Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes or slightly longer. The pap must be cooked but still runny.
• Whisk in the butter and serve with milk and sugar.